The new GCSE in English Literature will encourage students to read, write and think critically, building upon the skills developed through studying English Language. Please note, texts are subject to change.
Students will study the following texts:
- The Sign of Four
- Shakespeare’s Macbeth or Romeo and Juliet
- AQA poetry anthology – Conflict section
- JB Priestley’s An Inspector Calls or Willy Russell’s Blood Brothers
- Unseen poetry
Students will develop their skills in:
- literal and inferential understanding of texts
- critical reading
- evaluation of writer’s techniques
- comparing texts.
The course is assessed solely by examination. Students will sit two papers in Key Stage 4.
The new GCSEs will be graded. Students will be awarded one of nine grades. The grades will be described using numbers (1-9) rather than letters. Grade 9 will represent the highest level of attainment.