The Level 1/2 Technical Award in Engineering is designed to provide learners with the skills, knowledge and understanding of the applied study of good engineering practices and an understanding of working in the sector.
Throughout this qualification, learners will gain valuable knowledge of:
- engineering disciplines
- the science and mathematics that is applied in engineering
- how to read engineering drawings
- properties and characteristics of engineering materials and know why specific materials are selected for engineering applications
- engineering tools, equipment and machines
- production planning techniques
- processing skills and techniques applied to materials for a manufacturing task equipment.
Learners are required to complete 2 mandatory units.
- Understanding the Engineering World 40%, externally assessed
- Skills and Techniques in Engineering 60%, internally assessed
They must also achieve a minimum of a Level 1 pass in the internal and external assessments.
The first part of the qualification comprises a written exam of 90 minutes, a mix of multiple choice, short answer and extended response questions, marked out of 80. The assessment is set and marked externally. This represents 40% of the technical award.
The second part is assessed through a synoptic project which students undertake when all the teaching content has been delivered. It is set by NCFE and graded internally. This part represents 60% of the technical award.
Learners with this qualification might progress to A Level in Design Technology or Physics, Level 2 and 3 qualifications in Engineering or apprenticeships in varied fields such as Aerospace Engineer, Electrical/Electronic Engineering.