As parents, you will often be thinking about your children’s health, wellbeing and feelings first – but remember you are just as important. This is a really difficult and challenging situation, and you need to find ways to take care of yourself so that you can continue supporting your children.
Here’s our Top Five Tips:
- Keep a daily routine going as much as you can. It might help to create a plan for your day each morning with your family – so that you can fit school work, family time, exercise, meals and me-time in.
- You’re doing your best. Remember that you can only do your best to support your children with their school work. There will be times when they will need to be independent and self-reliant. If all else fails, encourage them to email their teacher and ask for clarification/ further support.
- Take time out. It might be really difficult to find time, or even space, for yourself at the moment – but it is important that you do something each day that you enjoy. It might be watching that Netflix series you’ve been meaning to start, having a soak in the bath, doing some exercise or reading a book. Whatever it is, make sure you take some time for yourself.
- Stay connected. Now more than ever, it is so important for us to keep in touch with our friends, families and work colleagues – so make use of the instant messaging and video calling services that are out there, and keep catching up regularly.
- Don’t compare. Try not to compare yourself to what other families are doing or the way they’re handling this. We’re all doing our best and we’re coping with different stresses and situations.
For more information and resources please click here.